Scout's Birth Story

So, I totally though that Scout was going to come early. I don't know why but I really felt she would come at like 38 weeks. Geddy came on his due date and she just felt like she was further along to me so when my due date came and went, I was pretty surprised.

I met with my Doctors each week at the end. My blood pressure looked awesome this time around (it was a little high with Geddy) and I wasn't feeling any contractions or anything so I just continued being pregnant. Some of the Doctors kept pointing out that if I were doing a C-Section I could schedule a due date and get this over with but over all, they were respectful of my desire to try for a VBAC (vaginal birth after a c-section). Her heart beat was still super strong and I was still feeling her move so they gave me the go ahead to keep waiting if I wanted.

40 Weeks and 6 Days Pregnant

So we continued to wait. And wait. And wait. AND WAIT. I was still not really dilated, maybe like 1 1/2 cm and she was still carrying really high so we were entirely unsure of what was going to happen. So I was given the option of what I wanted to do. After discussing it with Chad, I came to the conclusion that I would be "induced" at 41 weeks and if I was not successful with the induction (meaning I don't dilate or there were any other complications) I would go through with a C-Section. My Doctor felt good about that so we planned to be induced on Monday, May 4th.

On Sunday night, we got a call from the hospital (like we were told we would) and they explained that we were "on call" for the next day. I thought that was totally bogus. On call? What the? So basically, they would call us about an hour before they needed me to arrive. That could be at any point. They couldn't guarantee anything, not even that I would get in on that day, which was so frustrating, by the way. This pregnancy seemed to consist of a lot of "wait and see" moments and we were all just so ready to meet her.

After we anxiously waited for our call, we got last minute things ready. It was nice to be able to plan ahead, I will say that. We got Geddy over to my Mom's house and packed his overnight bag for when he would be staying at Chad's Mom's house that evening (the Grandparents were SO amazing through all this). Finally, we got our call. It was 4:00 in the afternoon and we were told we needed to be there at 4:30. I got all jittery and nervous with a fit of giggles (that's what happens when I get nervous).

We grabbed my bags and calmly got in the car and drove to the hospital. It was weird and delightful how peaceful the event actually was because with Geddy, I was in labor and experiencing really terrible contractions as we drove from Provo to American Fork. Not what I would call peaceful. We said a prayer in the car and talked about how excited and wonderful this was. And I told him how nervous I was feeling.

So nervous/excited to have this baby!

We arrived and were taken to our room and I was told to get in my gown and take a seat. So I did and we sat next to each other and waited. I remember just cracking stupid jokes and giggling like crazy and holding hands and walking around the room because I was just so dang nervous. Then someone came in the room, I don't remember who exactly, I think it was the nurse. She hooked me up to the monitor and then the doctor came in and took a look at everything. I hadn't been feeling any contractions but apparently I was having them which was cool. The doctor broke my water to see if we could get things going. (We didn't want to use Pitocin right away because that can make the risk of my scar rupturing a bit higher). So they broke my water and Chad and I walked around the halls of the hospital trying to see if we could make some things happen (like my cervix dilating, that would be good).

Chad's Hospital Band

We walked around for about 20 minutes and the contractions really did start to get stronger to the point where I would need to stop and lean on the wall to get through them each time. So, we waddled back to our room so I could sit down. I was "put back in bed" so they could continue to monitor the baby and my contractions. When they broke my water, they did notice a little bit of brown, which meant there was some Meconium in my water. Aka: Scout pooped. Now, that happened with Geddy as well (apparently my kids are big poopers!) but his was so severe with him that my water was like black (the nurse said she never saw water that dark, perhaps why we had such problems with that delivery). But with Scout, the water was really light brown AND her heart rate was super steady. She was as a strong as an ox, for reals, she handled all the stress of the delivery so well.

Get this baby out of me! 

***Side note. I realize that I am a fairly tall woman at 5'9" but the hospital beds seemed SO small to me this time around. Like, I constantly felt like a giant person because my feet would stick off the edge. Weird? I agree. Anyway, continuing on!

Because Scout was doing so well, the Doctor felt confident that we could keep trying for a vaginal delivery. Now, there were several things that we had to be careful of with this delivery. 1) The Meconium. We don't want her to ingest it and if she did, her heart rate would start to drop and she would be stressed and 2) we had to be careful that my C-Section scar didn't rupture and the best way to tell if that was happening was her heart rate again. We REALLY wanted her heart rate to be STRONG and STEADY. So far so good.

At this point, I just waited and got through the contractions. They checked my cervix and SADLY, it was still like a 2. I remember feeling pretty disheartened about it. If I didn't dilate, we would have to have a C-Section but I really felt like my body could do it. I know it could. I just kept at it until the contractions were starting to get REALLY uncomfortable. They were to the point where I was struggling. I called the nurse and asked if it would be too early to get the epidural. At this point, it was about 8:00pm so I had been having contractions for several hours. She called the anesthesiologist and he came in. Things were going super smoothly and he got everything set up and just as he was about to put the dang thing in my back a nurse runs in and says there is an emergency that he had to be called away. I was SO close to getting the epidural but he had to drop what he was doing to help another Mother (a woman was having twins and got the first twin out vaginally but the second baby would have to be a C-Section, wouldn't that be SO hard? You basically have to deliver BOTH WAYS. Ahhhh! My heart when out to that woman). They explained that I would have to wait 45 minutes and in the mean time they could give me this other medication that takes the edge off but doesn't last very long. I don't know what that medicine was called but it was AWESOME. I was giggling and cracking lame jokes to Chad. It was really awesome. BUT it didn't last long.

45 minutes passed and the nurse came in to tell us that unfortunately, there was ANOTHER emergency (a woman came in dilated to a 6 and the baby's heart rate was dropping and they had to do a C-Section, again, SO scary) so he had to go and help her. We waited an additional 45 minutes. This 45 minutes was not as fun and trippy as the first. It was agony. My contractions were much worse coming every 3 minutes or so and I was really tired at this point. I had been up all day and dealing with contractions for several hours. And honestly, I didn't want to have a natural birth so I wasn't all about "powering through like a bad a**" I just wanted my meds! Finally, after a total of an hour and a half of waiting, the anesthesiologist returned and gave me the epidural. Hallelujah! At that moment, he was my favorite person in the world.

I remember that right after I got the epidural, I kept getting light headed and dizzy so they had to keep giving me this stuff that helped. But I had to keep asking for it because I kept getting so dizzy. My legs finally got all numb and we just waited. At this point, it was like 11 or so at night and I was starving. I hadn't eaten anything since 1:30 that afternoon and my stomach was hurting from being so empty but you're not allowed to eat anything so I just drank water. It was the worst.

Even though I had the epidural, I could still feel the pressure of the baby and the contractions. I tried turning the lights off so Chad and I could sleep but I just couldn't. I was feeling too much and I would get dizzy from time to time and I would have to move because one leg was numb and then the other one wasn't so they would rotate me slightly until both legs were numb again. I couldn't sleep yet I was so exhausted. I was also worried about our dog. This sounds so dumb but it's true. We had left her at our apartment without really thinking how LONG this would take. Foolish of us I know. So being the anxious human that I am, I told Chad my concerns and made him call his Mom and ask her to pick up our Lady Pup. Keep in mind it was midnight. Hahahaha, I am the worst. Totally dumb on my part. We just thought that Chad would be able to go home to her earlier than what was happening. Amazingly, they came to the rescue and picked up our pup (thank you Diana and Glenna!)

Since getting the epidural, I was able to relax more and they gave me very SMALL amounts of Pitocin just to give it a nudge. They felt confident with how well Scout was doing so we made the decision to give a tiny bit of Pitocin a try just to see if it would help me dilate. AND IT DID! They checked at about 1 am and I was at a 5. Hurray! They were also monitoring INSIDE my body as well. They put something up there that kept track of how my contractions were effecting my body and the baby and stuff...I know, I really know my medical lingo.

At about 2 in the morning, I started to feel intense rectum pressure. I know, gross but this is reality. It was so intense that I called the nurse in to check what was going on. At this point it was about 2:30am. They checked my cervix and I was already dilated to an 8 and the baby was LOW. Like so low. we were getting really close to pushing. At about 3, they woke up my Doctor and had him come in and check everything out. I was at about a 9 and getting really close to needing to push. The pressure was incredibly INTENSE. It wasn't crazy painful but it was pretty uncomfortable. I felt like I was going to push the baby out my butt. Hahaha, it was a weird feeling. The Doctor wanted us to wait another hour just so that I was dilated completely and would hopefully make it so I wasn't pushing as long.

I remember being really ready to be done. It had been 10+ hours and I hadn't slept at all and was really exhausted. I was also so hungry that I was kinda nauseous. I just kept drinking water trying to trick my stomach that there was something in it. We waited that hour and then our Doctor wanted us to wait another 30 minutes. When they gave me the epidural, they also gave me this magic button that would let me push it to give an extra boost of pain meds. I started using that special button at this point because it was so uncomfortable.

At 5:32am, we started pushing. Oh pushing. What a frustrating affair. I pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed...and so on. Basically, the baby's head was low but couldn't quite make it past my pelvic bone. I would push and she would move past it but when I stopped pushing, she would slide back in. Graphic, yes? I pushed until 8am and our Doctor came in (it was one of our other Doctors because there was a shift change) and he candidly told us that they usually don't allow women to push longer than 3 hours and basically, if we couldn't get her out soon, we would have to do a C-Section. He explained that if the baby doesn't fit, then she just won't fit.

I was SO exhausted. I was actually sleeping in between contractions (every 3 minutes) because I was so tired. I had also started throwing up after pushing for about an hour but there was nothing in my stomach except for water from the ice I was chewing. It was brutal. Truly the most physically exhausting experience of my entire life. (The Doctor did tell me that everytime I threw up, the baby made a lot of progress outward...as if that made me feel better...dry heaving and all)

After the Doctor explained the likelihood of needing a C-section, my heart dropped. How could I labor for 12 hours and push for another 3 and THEN have to do a C-Section. So, I asked Chad to say a prayer outloud. I didn't care who heard it, I just needed it so he prayed. And it was just what we needed. I pushed with everything I had (I thought I was going to explode) and the Doctor had a sudden change of heart and said "I think we're gonna do this" and I pushed so hard again and again until finally her head came out. And the amazingly sweet nurse (who was SO kind and supportive) and my amazing husband (who was SOOOO stupendous, he was so positive and supportive and kept my moral high) were so excited for me pushing that baby head out of my body. They had me push yet again to get the shoulders out and low and behold, we had a BABY!!!!!!! And you know what time it was? 8:32am. Exactly 3 hours of pushing and that baby girl made her way into the world. She cried and cried.

I can't explain the miraculous relief that I felt. It was like a monster poop and my body was so glad but even more so I was mentally so relieved and emotionally. Everyone said such nice things. Chad started crying and even cut the cord. Chad was such a strength to me. I couldn't have done it with out him. He doesn't like hospitals and blood but he was right there in the thick of it the entire time. Chad, you are the best. I wouldn't want to experience that with anybody else in the whole world. P.S. You totally cried when you saw your baby girl :)

After the baby was out, they did have to check her over because of the Meconium being in my water. So they checked her with their fancy machines to make sure she was ok but she stayed in the room the entire time. The doctor got the placenta out (which he said mine was super big, that's probably why was I felt so dang sick in the first trimester???) and then stitched me up. I did have to have an episiotomy because our little girl's head is huge. Which is funny because Geddy's head was on the smaller side (but he was born c-section). I really wish the head sizes could have been switch considering the ways they came out ;) But it's all good.

The nurses were impressed with her weight.

After just a few short minutes, they brought her over and laid her on my chest. And I got to hold her. And she was amazing. My first thought was "she looks like my Geddy boy!" and I think she does look LIKE him, like, as if they are related. But she has a different nose and different eyes. But their mouths and chins are totally the same. Super pouty and darling. But mostly, I thought she was beautiful. And perfect. And BIG. Right when they pulled her out, I looked down at her and thought "wow, she seems big to me". And she was!

Scout Ivy de Lisle
8lbs 13oz 19 inches
May 5, 2015 at 8:32am
Me and my girl right after delivery. 

We tried nursing right away and she latched right on but totally feel asleep super fast (which she still does, btw). Right after, Chad went with her to get her first bath while I stayed and ordered food because I was STARVING. Even though I was so tired before, the adrenaline of birth and meeting this amazing little spirit kept me really alert. I scarfed down french toast, sausage, eggs, and a fruit cup. And even though it was hospital food, it tasted divine because I was so hungry. 

Holding Daddy's finger while she got her first bath (and screamed the whole time). 
The rest of my hospital stay was amazing. I love being at the hospital. I wish I never have to leave because they take care of me and my baby and I love it. Straight up. Going pee for the first time was really interesting. And cleaning the area down there was also intense. SO MUCH BLOOD. 

And I was totally that Mother who asked them to keep her in the nursery at night and give her bottles. I got some looks but I stayed awake the rest of that day she was born so I had been awake for 24+ hours. I THINK I DESERVE SOME SLEEP. And she was totally safe in the nursery with people who are dedicated to care for those babies. And although I had every intention of nursing, I believe that formula is an ok thing. Think what you may, that's just my opinion. I used formula from time to time when Geddy was little as well and he is a happy, healthy, child. 

I knew that I had a really long and intense labor. I knew that I would go home and NOT have that option and so I made that decision and stand by it. I took both nights (yes, two) in the hospital to sleep for myself. And I am completely happy that I did. I took an Ambien both times and slept like a rock and it made it so I felt amazing when I went home (apart from just having a human come out of my body, you know).

Overall, I was incredibly happy with this birthing experience. And I was thrilled to have had a successful VBAC. It was something I really wanted and was really grateful for the support of my Doctors and Husband in getting us there.

And most of all, we are so grateful for this healthy little girl. And Geddy LOVES his little sister. Holy cow, she is the best thing in his world. More on that later.

Happy Tuesday!


Also, you can read Geddy's Birth Story here.

1 comment:

Eliana Smith Designs said...

What a beautiful story. I totally teared up. congratulations you guys! can't wait to meet her one day!